sreda, 13. avgust 2014

#StandUpAgainstDepression

It was a perfectly normal Monday evening. I scrolled through my Instagram account and there I see it. One of the people I follow there published a photo of him saying RIP Robin. I... What?!?
I open a news website and I find out it's not a stupid distasteful prank. I wish it was. Robin Williams, the one actor I can really say I grew up with, watching his films, anything from Hook and Mrs Doubtfire to Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. It shocked me. He was one of the few actors that you cannot usually find in gossip magazines and yellow pages. No. He was greater than that.

And it made me think. So many of Williams' movies were comedies. Comedies that were supposed to make people laugh. He could certainly do that. And yet, he was suffering from depression. Seems like a paradox. Did anybody know that? I didn't. Not before it was too late and I found out he committed suicide. I mean, it's not like I could have helped him. It's just... Why doesn't anybody talk about it? Are people really more interested in the fact that Kim Kardashian published 1,200 selfies on her recent visit to Thailand? Really? How much do you know about depression?

And I thought of the movie Mrs Doubtfire. Maybe this movie is supposed to be a comedy (or at least a part of it) but can anyone remember Robin Williams' eyes in it?? When he realizes he cannot spend more time with his children. There was such a profound sadness in those blue eyes. I don't know, maybe I am imagining stuff but I believe that as good as he was in making people laugh, he was just as good in making people cry. Be it because of too much laughing or because of a simple look in his eyes. At least if I am speaking about myself.

And then I spoke to a friend of mine who was also shocked by Robin Williams' death and consequently decided to do something in order to stand up against depression, at least an attempt so we could discuss it more and not keep it a taboo. So I, too, decided to make a post about it. Anybody can follow and anybody can join the cause, post something on so many social media channels, anything.

Let this be in the honour of this great actor that Robin Williams was but also a message of hope for those who are struggling with depression. #StandUpAgainstDepression



Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar